Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My mascara love affair

I am on a journey to find the perfect mascara. It's a terrible addiction.

As with every journey, mine started somewhere - at the foot of my mother's bed. When I was little, my mother's make-up ritual fascinated me. I often found myself kneeling on her bedroom carpet with my head propped up in hands, elbows sunken into the mattress. At the head of the bed, she would sit with one leg curled under her, meticulously combing a mascara brush through her eyelashes.

"Chance, if you ever want to use one piece of make-up, go for mascara - it makes anyone look prettier."

She wholeheartedly encouraged me to practice applying make-up. Her theory was that I was going to experiment with it sooner or later, and she would not want to force me into the position she found herself in at my age - hastily applying make-up at the bus stop before school and then having to scrub it off in the school bathroom before returning home to her mother.

"We all want to look pretty," she told me, "and though I think you're already pretty, you won't believe me because I am your mother. If you're going to put on make-up, I want you to be able to do it properly and with the right colors. Lord knows, I went to school many a time looking like a kabuki actor trying to figure it out on my own." So began the love affair with mascara.

Though I have no intention of becoming a review blogger, I'm thinking I'll use this blog to post my reviews of some mascaras I've tried since I swear of experimented with every brand on the market. Who knows - maybe I'll also include other beauty product reviews. With my HUGE hair, hair product reviews might also be in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment